Monday, July 21, 2008

Vacation 2008 - Day Fourteen - 21 July


This is the cabin in which we are staying. It is owned by very good friends of ours and as I understand it we are the first persons outside of close family to be allowed access. We think it is great and are having a very relaxing time.

The following is the e-mail traffic between the owner and I over the last couple of days about the property. BTW: You might want to know that she is also a clergy person and has the requisite sense of humor.

First Note: You've noticed our over abundance of trees.  Although trees are great, we would prefer more daylight.  Codes only allow for cutting trees if they are damaged, in the way or ill.  Don't you think ours are acting depressed or nauseous?”

My Response:

We love your trees.
They provide shade from the sun;
they keep the cabin cool;
they provide a privacy barrier;
they are pretty;
they smell wonderful;
they provide shelter for the birds;
they sing us to sleep with the wind in their hair;
 
Your trees are healthy and happy.
After your e-mail I went and talked with a couple of them.
They are in no way depressed. They enjoy standing tall and are proud that God made them just the way they are. A quote from the tree closest to the cabin; "God don't make no firewood." They tell me that they are fulfilled by their holy life style fulfilling the purpose for which God created them.
 
The Pine closest to the water asked, "Does she notice how straight I am or how I stretch my arms in praise to God every day?"

The Oaks on either side of the gas grill asked me to mention that though they love the smell of cooking meat they hope that you have read all the safety instructions and are aware that "only you can prevent forest fires."
 
In the final group session they came to this consensus: for you they would move to provide you more sunshine if they could. But they are reminded of the scripture that commands,
"Bloom where you are planted."

They asserted, "That's what we are doing and you can tell your friend to complain to the Creator or bark at his wife Mother Nature."
 
After that comment they discussion took a nasty turn with vague threats; something about plagues, firstborn and fiery lakes.

E-mail Number Two, A Response to the Response:

OK, OK, OK!  I give up.  Now you've made me cry.  I hate when that happens.  I feel so sorry for my trees, I will kiss the ground they root in as soon as I have a chance.  And I will place myself between them and any army of tree cutters appearing on the property.
 
I also think there is a deeper message in your reply.  Duh!! 
 
After I heard the message for me, I saw the sonnet and offer the following analysis.
 
In the octet I saw my friend, David, between the lines. 
If he doesn't see what I see, I am not going to enlarge upon it here. 
 
The sextet describes my friend's life to date.
 
In the first half of the couplet  I heard my friend's voice saying even he needs to be acknowledged for his strength of character and his devotion to God;

in the second half of the couplet I also heard The Great Advocate saying my friend needs to be carefully protected, too, and I have some of the responsibility for doing that.
 
The Sonnet suddenly evolved, reverted, overturned to become a church board meeting where  the kind hearts shared their desire to do more, preached at themselves and the preacher, defended themselves, passed the buck and then ended with all too familiar threats should their point of view be ignored and a decision made with which they disagreed.
 
Perhaps you have heard a voice through our trees yourself this week. 
If not, reread the message from them. 

My Last Response:

I see it. I see it. You have un-done me.
Great job.

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to start the week of July 20, 2008! I was surprised and elated to open my computer and gaze upon Chastel, our Beth-El.
The computer screen came alive. The Voices of the Trees in chorus sang:
'O Lord our God, When we in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Your Hands have made;
we see the stars, we hear the rolling thunder,
Your power throughout the universe displayed.


Then sing we trees, O Wondrous God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sing we trees, Creator God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!


When through the woods, and forest glades folks wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When they look out, on lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, Sebago, and feel the gentle breeze,

When sing we trees, O Wondrous God to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art;
Then sing folks' souls, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

We are the trees You use to touch Your world
And We, Your trees, so blessed to share your love
Sing through our nights and days
O, Lord, Creator God,
How Great You Are, How Great You Are!

Wow!! I can't believe I heard it myself.

Yes, David,indeed you are the first "outside the family" to be allowed access since God provided the way for us to become sole owners; however, we recently redefined our concept of family. I hate to burst your bubble, but Phyllis and David Sparks are just part of the family!!!

We thank you for sharing our place of meeting with God. It blesses us more than you will ever know.

Just don't feed those ducks!!!!
Gloria

 

Post a Comment

<< Home