Sunday, February 19, 2006

Self Discipline of Writing

OK - OK - OK

I am embarrassed and pleased that in the last week I have been prodded by friends and relatives to post again. “Hey David. I’ve got you bookmarked.” “David, I notice that you have not added anything to your blog.” “Uh - David I haven’t seen anything new on your blog. Am I doing something wrong?”

My response: I’ve always had a problem with self discipline. Give me a deadline and I’ll probably meet it. But if you leave me to my own devices I will have great ideas but probably won’t follow through. It is a character flaw. I’ve been told that our weaknesses have flip side strengths but for the life of me I can’t see the other side of this one.

Lots has happened in the last 6 or 8 weeks about which I could and should write.

Phyllis’s mom died. More on that another time.

Phyllis’s brother had a six-way bypass surgery. I didn’t even know we had six! Recovery seems to be going well? We are in Delaware. He is in Maine. It is so hard to be separated.

Since last I wrote the mortuary has received and prepared almost 100 national heroes. In one of my upcoming posts I need to describe the homecoming for each of our fallen.

My favorite Wing (Boss) Chaplain is leaving Dover to become Wing Chaplain at another base. I am going to miss his wit, personal support and deep spirituality. He loves Jesus with all his heart. Sometime I should write about what I have learned about spirituality from priest-chaplains. My faith has been encouraged and deepened and challenged by my catholic brothers in Christ. I thank God for the exposure to faith traditions outside my own provided by my Air Force Reserve career.

I shared what I thought was a funny satirical article about preaching with a number of friends. One of them called me a bad name. Another decided that we were “apparently not in the same place.” I’ll have to share the article here and tell you why I thought it funny.

It is Sunday night, February 19. Phyllis and I just got back from a Jazz Vocal concert held at the Chestertown Church of the Nazarene. The concert featured Joe Holt (music director and pianist), Allen Dale (a GREAT drummer in the classical jazz tradition), and Beth McDonald in her FIRST full concert. Beth has an alto voice that will not go away. She has a grasp of the traditional jazz style but loves the sad/poignant love song and nails the ballads. Tonight she sang a Love Song concert for the Valentine Season. The first set was devoted to traditional jazz love songs. She reserved the second set for love songs to Jesus. The first set knocked my socks off. The second set was magical in a spiritual way. If you want to sample some of Joe Holts musical style check out his web site at joeholtsnotes.com.

Enough for now. Thanks for holding me accountable to my “attempt at the discipline of writing.”

2 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, Blogger M said...

Sorry. One of them was being sarcastic when he uttered his naughty word. Had hoped you would recall his warped sense of humor.

But still good to see you posting again, ya li'l b******d.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Brian said...

You never know who might be checking you out. Like a friend from KC. Missing you and appreciate your ministry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home