Thursday, December 22, 2005

On Christmas Music

I'm embarrassed to admit it. I love the Thanksgiving to Christmas Day 768 hour Christmas music marathon on my satellite radio. When it is over I will be glad but in the meantime, if I'm awake I'm listening to Christmas music. A friend wants to put sharp objects in his ears at the sound of the constant Christmas clamor. Not me. I have come to love Madonna's stylized "Santa Baby"; Ray Charles and Edie Brickel make me smile; my current favorite, "The Man with the Bag" will probably end up in an Advent sermon next year; any Marsalis family member puts me in the spirit of the season; "Walking Round in Women's Underwear" makes me laugh till I pass a little pee; I get perverse pleasure from forcing my visitors to listen to "I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa Klaus" (So you won't "ask or tell" Santa turns out to be Mommy); and I still (since 1953) love to listen to the diminutive voice of Gayla Peevey singing "All I want for Christmas is a Hippopotamus cause I love hippopotamus and hippopotamus'uz love me."



Should I be embarrassed? Or is it possible to enjoy the schmaltzy, commercialized, and absurd bottom line driven season without losing the rich, historic and religious context. I really do know the difference between the two but I also find the first to be a conversational bridge to the second. It really is not so far from "The Man with the Bag" to a gracious God who brings gifts even when I have not been "extra specially good."

2 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Dave - Have a great Christmas!!! We miss you.

Buddy & Candy

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be embarrassed, I enjoy the christmas seasons musical sway myself. I do like the one song with the Harley's in the mall.......

And yes it is possible to enjoy it amidst the "schmaltzy, commercialized, and absurd bottom line driven season", because we know the difference and can ignore the bottom line and enjoy this season for what it really is. But just in case you ever do forget what it is all about, call up those pictures of the Boy I sent you and look at his smile for awhile!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home